Re: Cat's eyes

I did not read all messages in the "red eye" threads. But from
what I know it is only a reflection from the convex surface,
like from a car in front of me, when the sun is behind us.
Some spots on the surface (car or eye) just satisfy the
common reflection law. The lens does not seem to be involved
in the formation of red eye spots (in developed photographs).

What I saw in cat's eyes was quite different; it was not the
nearest spot on the concave cornea facing me; most of the
light was coming from the region near the edges of cornea.
The center seemed to nearly dark, if my memory can be trusted.
Thus I am not sure that the "pink eye" phenomenon (mentioned
also by Mark) is the same thing as the "cat's eye" phenomenon.
Ludwik Kowalski

Responding to

Why don't we observe the same "glowing eyes"
effect in people?

John Denker wrote:

We do. It shows up in flash photography, when the flash is too nearly
aligned with the camera lens. This is the main reason you see
photographers exhibit the stereotypical "statue of liberty" pose -- holding
the flash in one hand, arm extended, as far as possible from the camera.