Re: Cat's eyes

Indeed, Scott's observation sounds interesting but is something different
from the shining cat's eyes. As John D point's out, it's a retroreflection.
My guess is, the cat sees your kitchen light reflected from, say, your
eyeball. The reflection probably looks pointlike to the cat. The cat's
optical system forms an image on the cat's retina, but at the same time
projects back the reflection of the image-forming rays in the direction
they came from, i.e. directly towards your eye. I believe it's the layer
behind the retina that does the reflecting. Playing with a flashlight -
shining it at the cat while holding closer to or further from your own eyes
should give some insight.

So when you stop the kitchen light from reaching your glistening eyeballs,
the cat sees no reflection, and neither do you.

You could try further confirming this by closing your eyes - you should see
nothing at all. <grin>

Mark

At 19:52 03/09/00 , Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
I was not wearing glasses.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
Duino TS Italy