Re: Computers in the lab.

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, mike sloothaak set L DIG wrote:

I am certainly not adverse to having computers in the physics lab. I also
agree that pratical educational labs will have to include some type of
"black box."

So maybe I should ask: What rules of thumb can be applied. What general
tasks are appropriate for computers to do?

In my opinion, the computer should be used for what it has always been best
at: performing repeated, mundane, predictable tasks (number crunching, spell
checking, graphing large amounts of data).

Like you, I personally do not have the students use the computer to
investigate dependence (or independence) of the ratio V/I on various
parameters like V, T, L and A. However, these measurements can be pretty
tedious and so I'd consider revising the experiment to be done with a
computer (if I had the time). I think it would make it easier for
students to repeat the procedure for various parameter changes (e.g.,
changing V and then changing T) and also allow them to spend more time on
interpreting the results.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |