Re: blue sky

At 05:50 PM 8/31/00 -0400, Hugh Logan wrote:
... Max Born's ... assertion that the observed scattering of light by the
atmosphere was a fluctuation phenomena. He claims that if the density of air
were uniform throughout that the waves scattered by individual molecules
would annul each other and that the sky would appear black.

I hope we can all agree on that! It seems super-obvious based on everything
we know about the optics of homogenous materials.

If I interpret John's most recent message correctly, I get the impression
that scattering is not completely annulled by a homogeneous atmosphere, the
intensity going as 1/lambda^2

Eeek? That's not right. I didn't say that.

Perhaps this is the source of the confusion: I wrote about
-- index of refraction, and
-- scattering phase shift
in the same message. Note that when light passes through a plate of a given
thickness and a given frequency-independent index, it picks up a _time
delay_ that is independent of frequency. However it picks up a _scattering
phase shift_ that is proportional to frequency. Phase is frequency*time.

I'm sorry if I didn't adequately delineate the discussion of phase from the
discussion of index.