Re: Glacier Color

In my summer swing through northern British Columbia I was reminded of
all the brilliantly coloured mountain lakes. These have very little
laundry or dish detergent in them. Its the green ones that really catch
my eye. I've generally assumed BC's green lakes are related to CuO
rather than plant life (possibly nickel or cobalt, but judging from the
mining industry in BC copper seems more likely).

(Incidently, if you are ever invited to a cottage at "Green Lake, BC",
make sure you find out which one its at.)

Doug Craigen

In Banff and Jasper parks (Alberta) I've been told that the brilliant
color is due to the glacial silt that the lakes and streams have in
abundance. I've never done any calculations though.
--
Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766