Appropriate use of PHYS-L

Of late this list has been diverted from its real purpose --- as a place
for physics educators to share ideas about physics education --- into a
place for Jim Green to vent his misogynistic opinions. And that is utterly
inappropriate.

Mr. Green, PHYS-L is not the place for your comments about how women should
be raising babies, how difficult it is for you to get along with women
(witness your response "Very interesting, George. Have you ever been
married???" to the statement "Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it!"), or even how you feel about jobs you've applied for and not
been offered. Nor is it the place for political humor of any stripe.

Furthermore, your comments are making it less and less likely that we will
get full participation on this list from physics educators of both genders.
That is something that I, and the other members of this list, cannot
tolerate.

Mr. Green, if you have anything more you feel you have to say on these
issues, please find some other list on which to post them or put them on
your web site. But please don't bother the members of PHYS-L. We have
better things to do with our time.

We are professional physics educators, doing our best to carry out the
difficult task of helping men *and* women to understand and appreciate
physics. PHYS-L is supposed to be a tool to aid us in that task. So as the
new academic year begins here in the U.S., let us resolve to all use this
list as professionals for its intended professional purpose.

Sincerely,
Roger Freedman

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB