Systematic vs. Random

During a post lab discussion yesterday students were presenting
the results of the standard pendulum lab (l vs. T).

A student asserted that because the test plot of T^2 vs. l by another
team resulted in a y-intercept that was about 4% of the maximum T^2
value then there was probably a "systematic error". My first reaction
(while the students discussed this) was that this was not true. The bell
rang. All left. I will see them again last period today.

I would like to get the general thoughts some on this list might have
regarding the validity of making the "systematic error" assertion based on
y-intercept value (combined with 9 well fitted data points).

Thanks

Tim