Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

Jim,
I'm sorry but if you can't see why postings like that below are an
incredibly effective way of making sure that most women wouldn't want to
be bothered with posting to this list, then I think that you need to
discuss your views with a wider circle of women!
from
Margaret Mazzolini, who as usual is fast regretting her occasional
kamikaze impulses to take part in these discussion threads.

Jim Green posted:
Herb, could it be that women have better things to do than waste time
here
on this list?

For example, as you suggested in a previous post, they may be dealing
with
something really important -- like their children.

This thread seems to have assumed that enticing a woman to become a
physicist is a step up. That of course is nonsense. Motherhood is the

most rewarding and beneficial avenue a woman can pursue. Those that
can
are truly lucky.

Let me go way out on a limb and say that I think it would be a rare
woman
who would trade her children for as much as a Nobel Prize in physics.
And
be pretty unfortunate to do so.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen

--
Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
Astronomy Course Coordinator

Visit Swinburne Astronomy Online, online courses in astronomy:
http://www.swin.edu.au/astronomy/