Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

Hugh said: (and thanks Hugh for keeping up one end of this "discussion")

If we don't have enough physicists, not only will we be culturally
poorer, but we won't be getting the advances in technology that we
have become used to.

I have gotten the distinct impression from varying sources (mostly APS
publications and at the personal anecdotal level) that society has more or
less decided that we have enough physicists. Industry isn't exactly
clamoring at the doors of higher education pleading for us to produce more
physicists for them to hire. In counter-example to requests for producing
JAVA ready bacculaureate graduates.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

I also meant to add this thought to my previous post but was too
quick with the "send" button.

It may well be that society has decided that we don't need physics
any more. There seems to be some evidence that you are correct. But
that would be a great tragedy if it should come to pass, and I think
that it is in humanity's best interest, even if humanity doesn't
understand that, for physicists to do their utmost to convince
society otherwise. I hope that it won't take another atom bomb-type
crisis to bring society around.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell