Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

> ....... Another problem facing women in physics
is that of rearing a family. ... . In fact, the discrimination
against women seems to have shifted a few notches to one side or the
other, away from just assuming that "women can't do physics" toward
"women can't do physics and have a family life." We need to work
hard to get around that problem.
Hugh

If (and when) we solve that problem we still have the problem of
"latch-key" children who are brought up without the care and guidance of
their full time working parents. In the past it was the children of the
women elementary and high school teachers who had a most difficult time
adjusting to social, moral, and other niceties while growing up. The
daily working hours of teachers is still less than those of full time
physicists. How can a woman work the long hours of a professional
physicist and still have sufficient time left at the end of the day to
devote to her own children?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where physics problems are MUCH easier to solve than latch-key children
problems)

And who says that the person staying home with the kids has to be a
woman? I know several "househusbands" and they seem quite happy in
their roles. There are lots of alternatives to having mom stay home.
A housekeeper, good quality day care, grandmother/grandfather, and
others and in the right circumstances they can be just as good as a
parent in the caregiving role.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell