Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

Hugh sez

Of course, but in our search for "bright individuals" we need to be
very careful that we don't send any subtle messages to women and
under-represented minority group members that they are either not
welcome, or will have a harder time of it because of the group to
which they belong. Those schools that have been successful in
attracting women into physics have had to work at it, and continue to
have to do so.

Wait a minute Hugh, you seem to be equating not actively recruiting physics
majors with offending students by pushing them out.

Why should anyone feel obligated to recruit anyone to any field for which
s/he doesn't seem suited? If during an initial advisement meeting one were
to ask a freshman student what HS courses s/he felt attracted to and s/he
said English, does anyone here think a proper reply should be "Have you
considered physics as a major?"

Or maybe one would say "Aha! Here is an unsuspecting female entering
freshman student, let me see if I can dupe her into a physics major."

What kind of foolishness is being promoted in this thread???

As for me, as I recall my best physics students have been female and I
encourage them --- if this is what they want to do. But then the best
students in any major are likely to be female.

But I am not about to set up a recruiting table in the hall.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen