From: Larry Smith [mailto:Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 9:40 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

At 9:06 AM -0700 8/24/00, Shapiro, Mark wrote:
Dear Steve et al.

While I also agree that there probably is no gender or cultural
viewpoint that would have meaning for basic physics, we should still make
every effort to encourage bright individuals to consider physics as a
career
regardless of gender or cultural background.

Here in the United States the college population is now
approximately 60% female. Unless we do a better job recruiting from that
population, there won't be many physics departments a decade or two from
now.

But is it just females you want, or _all_ "bright individuals"? Shouldn't
we recruit (or "encourage") what we want?

Larry