Re: Extra Credit (was Where Have All the Boys Gone?)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Daniel L. MacIsaac wrote:

Cool. Now extend this logic to nifty demos and reading the text. What is to
be done, ...er... left to be done in lecture after eliminating these? I have
seen lots of lectures where derivations, text reading and nifty demos was
all that took place. I have no problem with lectures if you can eliminate or
largely eliminate these things (say <20% time, including crse admin). Now
what do you do with the other 80%? I'm trying to do whiteboards and seat
experiments, what do others do? What do you do, Jack? I note Hake has a list
in his paper, but I'm sure there are other worthwile things worth doing in
lecture that aren't passive that aren't on Hake's list.

In a 5 hour course I lecture about 30 minutes/week, usually to
introduce the next topic - with an appropriate demo.
The rest of the week is devoted to the solution
of homework problems - also with demos where appropriate.
I keep transparencies with all solutions, but do
not show these until I have had students "recite". "Recite" means going
to the board and putting up - and explaining - one of the problems
assigned for that day. Students who have not done homework are dismissed
from the class - 90% class attendance is required to take my final.

Regards,
Jack