Re: mirrors in D-space

From: John S. Denker <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>

[snip]
a) Under "normal" conditions, for an object of dimensionality d in a space
of dimensionality D, the object can't be chiral if d is less than D -- you
can always pick it up and flip it over.

b) This implies that for any object it is the last dimension (the step
from
d=D-1 to d=D) that breaks the symmetry.

But this begs the question of how you prove statement (a). Under what
conditions does statement (a) hold? Before you assert that statement (a)
is obvious, be warned that it is not always true! It's bad luck to prove
things that aren't true.
Why is a) not always true? If d < D then all the instances of a
object look the same - n'est ce pas? Proving it, is of course another
matter, and I'm hoping someone can help me there.

Regards,
Abhishek