Re: A question about mirrors

From: Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 2:32 AM
On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Abhishek Roy wrote:

I am asking specifically about the transformation
that reverses
handedness (or orientation).
I will add "and nothing else". Your use of the word
"reverses" implies the answer -> the reverse of a reverse is
the identity, so there is only 1 reversal possible.
Next question: Can I have n-different "hands",
corresponding to the n'th roots of unity for some n?

Answer: Not in classical physics, where representations of
real objects must be real numbers. The only real n'th
roots of unity are +-1.

So an answer to your question is that there are
only two "hands" because there are only two real roots of unity!
?! How does this have to do with anything? Please explain.

It may be isometric, but I read in one of
Martin Gardner's books that it is impossible to transform
a Moebius strip
into its mirror image by any continuous deformation.

I don't think that this fact is relevant to your
question because a Moebius strip has no orientation.
If you mean by this that a Moebius strip and its mirror image may
be super-imposed, then this is simply incorrect- they are enantiomorphs. If
you mean something else by orientation then please explain.

No. I actually asked, how aliens who had never seen a mirror
would explain both the difference and similarity between say, a right
and
left helix.
Send the chemical formula for a substance with 2 isomers;
then keep sending your agreed symbol for the number "2".

Or (assuming they are super-intelligent) how would they, on
seeing an asymetrical object for the first time, would deduce that it
had
one and only one counterpart (again lacking a mirror).

Since most objects are asymetrical, I don't understand
your question. There can only be one inversion in 3-space
because two co-ordinates determine a plane and the "handednedness"
of the co-ordinate system is determined by the orientation of
the 3rd co-ordinate.
Replied to by John Denker. By the alien analogy, I meant to ask
how intelligent beings would - on first chancing upon an asymetrical object
reason that it has a (only one) counterpart. Of course if they were familiar
with a standard mirrors, or atleast the mathematical transformation, they
might explain it way. But without the above, it seems to me that they would
first - by pure cerebration - discover the property of 'handedness' (in the
general case- not just for that object or a class of objects). And my
original question was - how?