Re: A question about mirrors

I certainly agree with Glenn Carlson... an object has only one mirror image.
If the object's one mirror image can be rotated to a position that allows
the image to be superimposed on the object, then the object is not chiral
(not handed). If the object's one mirror image cannot be rotated to a
position that allows the image to be superimposed on the object, then the
object is chiral (handed).

If you have not done so, I urge you to place an object in front of a mirror,
then construct a new object that looks identical to the mirror image of the
first object. No matter how you orient the first object in front of the
mirror, you will always construct the same mirror-image object. Try various
objects and see which are superimposable and which are not.

This is easily done with molecular model kits, although you can use other
things. But at least secure enough ball and stick molecular components to
construct two CHBrClF molecules and play with those for a while.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817