Re: Voltaic Pile of Confusion

At 04:17 PM 7/29/00 -0400, Tom McCarthy quoted some author:
" If one cell genterates a given current, then several cells connected in
series would produce a larger current under the same conditions."
I would think this should read voltage, rather than current.

Of course.

=======

Some Philadelphia lawyer might try to get the author off by arguing as
follows: depending on what one means by "same conditions", the current may
well increase when the voltage increases. However, that's not true in
general....
-- in the open-circuit case, the current remains zero as the voltage goes up
-- in the short-circuit case, the current should remain constant to a
good approximation as similar cells are added in series
-- if current is of interest, the author was remiss in giving a
one-parameter description of the voltaic pile; a two-parameter description
is the price of admission, as we discussed a week or so ago.
... open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current
... impedance and o-c voltage
... or some other two-parameter description.