Re: A sick computer monitor

Yes - techs have a device to determine if there is a shorted turn in the yoke or Horiz out put xformer.

bc

David Bowman wrote:

Regarding bc's endorsement:
This fits bw's suggestion to check the amp.

brian whatcott wrote:
Sometimes you can replace the line output transistor and it will hold up.
The line output transistor is never overspecified. But it is not
expensive to try a replacement. I seem to remember a down home recipe for
diagnosing a failed output transistor of this kind: the forward resistance
collector-emitter resistance should be greater than 100 Ohms (if I remember
rightly).

Sometimes it fails again. Then David's line output transformer
suggestion will need your consideration.

I agree that it is more likely than not that the horizontal amplifier
output transistor is shot, and will probably need to be replaced if
Ludwik decides to try to fix it. But I also strongly suspect that there
was a reason (external to it) as to *why* the horiz. output stage blew