Re: A sick computer monitor

I have a friend (you all have already heard of him -- http://www.bmumford.com/ ) who got his start by making a speed up kit for the TRS-80. I'd called it a trashy 80, and he corrected me. A year
later he used a much worse appellation -- he'd called up for some support and their answer was "We no longer support the 80."

I'm not sure you'll do better with any other large company. Now a co. like Vernier is another matter!

bc

P.s. I got a new monitor with the same warranty as Leigh except all the UCSC repair shop had was a larger one, lucky me!

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Ludwik, you've seen my monitor. Is yours the same model?

I had a 17" Applevision monitor that I bought in 1995. It gave
up slowly, and I could hear loud arcs inside it. Since it was
by that time 1998 I assumed that no warrantee was in force, so
I opened it up and moved the high voltage wire to a position
where it no longer arced over (I cleaned the dust out, too).
It was quite a job getting the case open (you have to know one
trick). Since I anticipated further difficulties I took a Dremel
tool and ground off the onetime dogs that they used to close up
the box in Singapore after they set the adjustments. This left
me with a large lid that I could lift off at will. This worked
fine with no trouble for almost a year, but on Christmas eve the
monitor blacked out again, this time for good. I couldn't figure
out what was wrong, so I took it in to our microcomputer store
technician (not the same one who gave me the battery) and asked
him to take a look at it. It turned out that that model had had
a *secret warrantee extension* put on it by Apple. Any Applevision
17" monitor brought in to an authorized Apple dealer with trouble
was to be replaced free of charge by a rebuilt unit. The secret
warrantee expired on December 31, 1998. I was, to understate it
greatly, extremely lucky. Hd the monitor expired a week later I
would have been told that 3-1/2 years was not really a terribly
short lifetime for a monitor, and I wouldn't have been told about
the secret warrantee extension at all! My rebuilt monitor shows
no worrisome symptoms after a year and a half. Nothing was ever
said about my case modification.

Apple will leave its customers hanging. There are some Macs that
are declared obsolete and Apple will have nothing to do with
supplying parts. I have a PowerBook 170 that, unsurprisingly,
needs a new NiCd battery. In my view this is not a "part"; it is
a consumable which must be replaced with a fresh specimen. Apple
says I'd be better off spending my money on a new PowerBook.

I like Macs much more than I like Apple.

Leigh