Re: A sick computer monitor

Hugh and Bernard were correct when they were suspecting
the battery. My "triumph" (my last message) was premature.
Knowing how to correct the pincushion is one thing but making
sure it does not reappear after a while is another. Since my
computer is 4 years old I decided to replace the battery ($21,
including tax and labor) and see the result. So far all is good
(no pincushion) but I should wait couple of hours to be sure.
Clock batteries are supposed to last 3 to 5 years, they said.
Ludwik Kowalski

"Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese" wrote:

It does much more than keep the clock going. At least for
Macs. It maintains the PRAM, if not more. On some models,
if something "disturbs" the PRAM, the computer "dies." ...

Hugh Haskell wrote:

The battery I referred to is the one on the mother board that
that keeps track of the date and time when the computer is off.
I'm not sure what the connection is, but when that battery fails,
you get no picture at all. It's pretty scary if you've never
experienced it before, but both times I've had it happen, it was