Re: Another sick computer monitor

"Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese" wrote:

This is strange. However, I think JH may have the answer. If only blue were black, it'd obviously be that the blue gun's heater had "burned out", or it's amp, connections, etc. had "broken." But to
get white at any time means you've got the blue "working." So you may have a short in the cable. Though I can't immediately see how a combination of shorts and opens will give your result. When it
was flipping (yesterday), were you moving anything? I fear that it's not simple, and is in the RGB control circuits. Forget about degaussing - bring a magnet near the screen and you'll see that a
magnetized mask produces a completely diff. effect.

No I was not moving anything, it was just sitting on the desktop. As
year or so ago I had degaussing problems where the entire screen was a
purple tinge. I eventually got it to go away with a routine of leaving
the screen off for a few minutes then turning it on for a few seconds.
Before discovering this though, the degree of tinting would often change
suddenly with a flicker - often to almost correct colors but then fading
back.

The problem I had a couple of days ago was a bit reminiscent of this,
the screen would just flip states suddenly without me doing anything
except sit there working. It probably went back and forth about 4 times
during the day that I saw.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/