Re: Chi_sqr

At 05:48 PM 7/12/00 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

chi_sqr=sum( (o(i)-e(i))^2 / o(e) ) <-- (i from 1 to n) [eq 1]

That is not the definition of chisquare. Overall it appears to be a
misstatement of a special case of the chisquare formula. The subexpression
o(e) has not been defined and is probably a typo. Using e(i) would make
more sense; see below.

... errors of measurements of observed quantities are
NOT specified. In other words we are making a conclusion
on the basis of an analysis which does not depend on sizes of
errors. ... It seems to me that such analysis is probably
not valid in many situations. Any comments?

A chisquare analysis that doesn't depend on the measurement errors is a
contradiction in terms. Such a thing would be totally invalid, in all
situations.

The correct definition of chisquare is
chi_sqr=sum( (o(i)-e(i))^2 / (sigma(i))^2 ) [eq 2]
which manifestly depends on the measurement error sigma(i).

There must be some hidden assumptions in this analysis.
What are they?

The formula
chi_sqr=sum( (o(i)-e(i))^2 / e(i) ) [eq 3]
is a special case of equation [2] for the case of a Poisson process,
further specialized to the subcase where Poisson "root N" counting noise
dominates all other sources of error.