Re: breaking sound barrier movie

Hi All
I took a protractor to the screen ( in the last few frames the plane is
almost in profile) and measured the cone angle. Then I used the
standard formula ( sin angle = v sound/vobject) to computed the speed
of the plane. I got (with reasonable error) the plane going right at
Mach 1. This will be a significant improvement over my drawing pictures
of planes and imaginary lines to represent wakes on a whiteboard....

Awhile back someone mentioned a picture on the web of an airplane at the
instant it is breaking the sound barrier. I finally stumbled across
that picture.
It is a neat picture showing a cone of vapor enveloping the tail of
the aircraft.

At the site where I found this picture there is also a video showing the plane
zooming past the flight deck of a carrier, breaking the sound barrier
just about
amid ships. It is spectacular. Check out

http://www.navy.mil/homepages/cv64/soundbarrier/soundbarrier.htm

You'll like it.

JSM

Scott Goelzer