Re: breaking sound barrier movie

> Concerning the photograph mentioned in J. Marsh's post:
>could someone explain the accompanying description claiming
>that "part of the plane is supersonic and part isn't"?

I have the idea that the air around the aircraft might not
be entirely at rest. The flow of air past the aircraft at
its boundary might well vary over the surface. It is also
possible that the air is not isothermal. The speed of sound
varies as the square root of the temperature.

This makes sense to me. The base definition of supersonic (Mach > 1,
right?) is simply the speed of the object relative to the local speed
of sound in the medium. Given pressure and temperature variations, I
would not be surprised if by definition one part of the aircraft is
supersonic while another is not, despite every part of the aircraft
traveling at the same speed. I would agree the statement tends to
confuse rather than elucidate.

Can anyone explain why the movie clearly shows *2* "cloud" events?
Early in the frames, there is an obvious formation of vapor which
then dissipates completely before the second. Is such a cone formed
when crossing the barrier back to subsonic? If so, maybe the craft is
only briefly travelling at Mach > 1?

Stefan Jeglinski