Re: accelerometers: primary vs. practical

At 08:37 AM 7/9/00 -0400, John Gastineau wrote:
the accelerometer sensor does not measure
kinematic acceleration.... Instead, the accelerometer is making
a dynamical measurement which actually depends on the second law. In my
opinion, that doesn't disqualify this sensor for use in the Newton II
experiment. Here's why: the measurement I described is very easy to perform,
and takes at most ten minutes, even with multiple masses. Before performing
the experiment, however, I would have my students explore the behavior of
the accelerometer.

It is a fairly simple matter to show, experimentally, that the accelerometer
readings agree with the 2nd derivative of the motion detector distance
readings

Fair enough!

It appears we agree that the logic is circular if one doesn't at some stage
use second-derivative-of-motion data.

But the points above are well taken.
-- One need not shun the dynamical accelerometer entirely.
-- The act of calibrating the accelerometer can be done separately from
the act(s) of using the accelerometer.

I guess it's like metrology: There are primary standards and practical
standards.

Thanks for calling attention to the proper use of (properly validated)
secondary standards!