Extra Credit

I think this is great for college and university instructors but as a high
school instructor, I could see myself getting torn apart for the differing
grading scale. What do other high school instructors think?

The other issue is that extra credit sometimes gives me the flexibility to
help a student out of one poor test. I KNOW I will get grief for this but if
I can somehow let a kid feel better about the class and science because they
EARNED a higher grade through additional work, I feel I have done a great
service to the student. They never realize what a small increase in the
quarter it truly is. They do, however, feel better about science. If this
encourages them to work harder (which they do) and they continue to pursue
science (which I hope they do) then I can pick and choose another battle. I
would not let this be abused and let them do poorly all quarter and save
themselves at the very end. Any thought? (Please be gentle, it is summer
after all ;-)...)

Steve

Steve Richardson
richarsd@one.net

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right
time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.