Re: Waves

At 04:28 PM 7/4/00 -0700, Leigh Palmer wrote:
The high pitched precursor
to the main pulse is likely due to the transmission of longitudinal
modes in the cable at speeds higher than those of the transverse mode.

Yes, but why is "modes" in the plural for longitudinal? Would one expect
the cable to transmit longitudinal waves with a range of speeds? Why?

Please excuse my sloppy terminology; there is only one longitudinal
mode, of course. The transmission of compressional waves in solids is
dispersive,

Aha. I did not know or had forgotten this.

but I don't think I can give a good answer to your "why"
question. The transmission of transverse waves in a stiff string is
also dispersive, by the way.

I find it hard to say "why" dispersion occurs even when the mathematics
seems clear. This is strange because it's usually the other way round for me.

I'm not basing my statement on theory, I'm stating an empirical
observation. Remember my ice example? This result may be simply
expressed in a theory of sound transmission in solids, but I am
unaware of it. I have never subscribed to the dictum "Never trust
an experimental result until it has been confirmed by theory".

Leigh