Re: Waves

Wonderful example of dispersion!

bc

Mark Sylvester wrote:

At 11:21 AM 7/3/00 -0400, John Denker wrote:
At 09:16 AM 7/3/00 -0400, David Abineri wrote:
Am I correct in explaining string instruments, to say that a string

A few years ago I was hiking in the Alps. At a refuge where we spent the
night there was a very long steel cable for hauling goods up from the
valley. It was a single span, goodness knows how long. I couldn't resist
whacking it with a piece of firewood from a stack nearby. The pulse came
back from the valley after what seemed like a very long time. The
interesting part is that for a few seconds before the main pulse arrived
the cable sang with high frequency noise.

Mark