Re: A wave or not a wave ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: A wave or not a wave ?

. . .
Is it really necessary to define waves in "the most general
mathematical way" when they are introduced for the first time.
What is wrong with saying "many kinds of waves exist but
TO BEGIN WITH we will limit our attention to harmonic
waves"? That is good enough for ordinary acoustics, for
explaining diffraction phenomena, for Fourier synthesis
or analysis, etc. In other words, what is wrong with the
traditional approach used in textbooks?
Ludwik Kowalski

I always emphasize that it is useful to study harmonic oscillations and
waves as paradigms because of the work begun by Fourier.
I.E, harmonic functions can be used as a set of basis functions for
synthesizing a wide class of general functions. (Draw an analogy to basis
vectors - this may be their first push into a profoundly important area of
mathematical physics.)

This approach does not limit the definition of waves (or oscillations);
it only offers a systematic method of attacking the general case - similar
to the use of unit vectors (divide and conquer?).

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net