Re: Exploding H2 O2 with light

Hydrogen and chlorine can be detonated by a UV flash. I sure
wouldn't want a high school kid to try to demonstrate this.

Leigh

Here's a question from somebody on my site. Is this a real demo, or is he
misremembering something else?

Guestbook entry:
I need info for a science demo for my class. My Chemistry teacher did it
years ago, but I can't remember the chemicals involved. I think it was a
hydrogen filled balloon with some kind of photo-reactive dust inside. It
exploded when exposed to a bright camera flash. Mad Sci won't answer this
kind of question and I can't find any references to it on the web.
Thanks.
Richard <rsneed@carolina.net> USA - Thursday, June 29, 2000 at 17:29:08 (PDT)

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com