Re: Physics first

Jane Jackson wrote:

Colleagues:
Below are excerpts of a few posts to the modeling listserv (which has 400
subscribers nationwide, all of whom use the Modeling Method of physics
instruction) on PHYSICS FIRST.

Leon Lederman's ARISE proposal (information can be found at
http://www-ed.fnal.gov/arise/arise.html ) advocates the Physics First
philosophy.
Cheers,
Jane

There is no doubt that physics can be taught successfully at the 9th
grade level. One thing I note from Jane's post and from my experience is
that most of the long term, successful programs of this are in private
schools. At least two of the schools on Jane' post were all-girl
schools, so I assume they are private. The one school I know doing this
in Texas is a private school in San Antonio.

Having taught in private school for 7 years, I know it to be different
from public school in that private schools choose the students that they
admit. They do not have to take anyone and they will get rid of students
that do not behave. Public schools do not have that luxury. Also,
private schools have smaller enrollments and would not need as many
physics teachers as public schools.

I am impressed with the responses Jane posted and do not in principal
have anything against teaching 9th graders physics, especially a
conceptual type course that goes hand in hand with algebra and geometry
classes. However, the practical aspect of finding enough qualified
physics teachers is still a huge stumbling block.

We will have at least 700 freshman taking biology this year. At twenty
five students per class, this means 28 sections at a minimum. That is
five full time teachers for us on an A/B block schedule. Our numbers may
go closer to 800. We added a full time physics teacher this year and
only had 3 applicants that I know about(we filled the position quickly
because I knew who I wanted, so there may have been more apply later.).
I do not think we could have found 3 or 4 more qualified physics
teachers. We would have found science teachers with creditials to teach
physics, but few with any experience or desire.

I think Dr. Edmiston's prediction would come to pass and we might not be
any better off than we are now. Thus, much planning and perhaps
incentives of some type to get more physics teachers trained would have
to be instituted. I am not sure the motivation is present for this now.

By the way, Herb, Plano Senior High had 7 physics teachers a few years
ago. I think only 4 were full time. I also think they taught 4 different
levels of physics(regular, Pre-AP, AP-B, and AP-C). They only have
juniors and seniors.

Also, I think the high schools in Round Rock, Texas, near Austin are
teaching biology, physics, and then chemistry. Perhaps no one sequence
fits all.

Thanks,

Vern