Re: moving wall laser demo

Gene:

Do you have a sketch or picture of this setup? I'd like to recreate it
in my own class. How long a rod, and what metal? A sewing pin, a nail
or what for the rotating pin?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner

We do a "bend the wall" demo on our stone walls. We attached the end of a
long metal rod to the wall with some clay. at the other end we have a small
mirror attached to a pin and set the pin under the rod as if you were doing
an expansion of metal experiment. When a laser is shining on the mirror and
the wall is even slightly pressed within a couple of meters of the rod, you
can get a major deflection. The setup amplifies the movement very well and
can get the laser dot to travel across a few meters.