Re: low-octane gas

Yes -- the rule for "dumb" autos is: level grade hi-gear (not overdrive), prob. 3rd of four, otherwise third of three, 30 mph; floor it -- should ping (Brit. pink); by about 40 mph stop. Adjust
timing and, or octane accordingly. I recently read that the govt. (epa, nhta?) requires that autos mfgd. during the last few years operate properly on regular. SUV's etc. are another matter.

Once, when I had an old Honda (dumb) (adjusted for reg.), I was forced to use premium in the middle of a long highway trip. Those days I compulsively calculated the mileage. It dropped
significantly, more than 10%!

bc

P.s. only lo-speed pinging is damaging.

"Shapiro, Mark" wrote:

You should use the lowest octane rating gasoline that your vehicle
can tolerate without knocking or pinging under heavy loads or on upgrades.
Using any higher octane rating fuel is just a waste of money.

Mark Shapiro

http://www.IrascibleProfessor.com