Re: Warnings concerning products {:-)

There is a bit of physics in all this. As much as people *think* they
love their coffee as hot as they can get it, the fact is that boiling
water scalds. Our normal experience is with coffee poured into a cold
mug and further diluted with sugar and/or cream - plus the coffee was
not boiling to begin with (on a hotplate staying warm, or having just
dripped through some filter ...). Hence there is not as big a safety
problem as there might be. However, in a setting such as McD it is
possible to store the coffee at any temperature up to 100C and it is
poured into a paper cup (nowhere near the heat capacity of a mug, so it
doesn't cool as much). Hence, it is possible to sell dangerously hot
coffee. My recollection of that case was that the restaurant in
question had their coffee set to a higher temperature than McD's own
guidelines permitted.

Their have been some weird lawsuits, but a little inspection doesn't
make this look like one of them.

"Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese" wrote:

Just some history -- the hot coffee brouhaha was the result of a woman's buying, at a drive up McD.'s, and spilling the coffee. She sued and won. Much criticism resulted. The facts, as I remember,
-- the resulting burn was so extensive and high degree (3rd), and on her vulva (how'd you like a third degree burn on your penis?), that it required hospitalization and skin graft(s). So don't
ridicule the warnings -- not bonehead and obviously not that obvious; (my often complaint of high end drip coffee is that it's stored in Dewars and unpleasantly cool after adding milk). It's also
sue proofing.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/