Re: tips for saving $ at the AAPT Summer meeting

Jane Jackson, after posting useful information, asked:

Anyone got other suggestions for saving money at this meeting?

Not only on that meeting. Anybody who is 62 or older can buy
senior citizen coupons from an airline. Four coupons from
Continental, for example, cost a little less than $600. Each
coupon allows you to go from anywhere to anywhere (one way)
within the continental US. You pay with two coupons to go to
Alaska or to Hawaii. And you earn the "frequent miles", as usual.

Airlines have cooperative agreements. For example, I can fly
America West or Alaska Airline and still get the frequent miles
for my Continental account. Also (but I am less sure of it), it
is possible to fly the cooperating airline instead of Continental
on the Continental coupon.

To get more information, or to buy Continental coupons, call
(800)-248-8996. Many airlines have such programs, contact
a company which flies to your place, to destinations you may
often need, and which has convenient cooperation (partners).

The inconveniences:

1) You must buy a ticket at least two weeks before the flight.
Otherwise come to the airport and try to go on the "stand-by"
basis (which always worked for me so far). The convenience
is that you loose nothing by not showing up; reservation does
not cost you a coupon, as an economy ticket does.

2) The are "blackout date" on some holidays. They will tell
you when. Again, use the "stand-by" approach on those days,
or make regular non-coupon reservations.

I would be happy to exchange my "old age privileges" for a
decade or two. Make me younger and I will be glad to pay.
Ludwik Kowalski