Re: microwave, RF heating

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese" <georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: microwave, RF heating

Suggestion: Call someone, then put the phone in a box covered with
household aluminum foil.
I'll bet that'll kill the signal. To be certain this didn't cut the
signal just enough to stop the call,
drive to the nearest repeater station, and try again. (Aside, there's a
repeater antenna next to
101 on the way to Gilroy from Salinas disguised as a tree! I rather like
it.)

Your cellular antenna reminds me of some of the covert antennas for
intercept and relay that the CIA developed to install in denied territory in
the 60s. The development team used rather good artists to fabricate antennas
(plastic coated metal) that were very real-looking trees. Evergreens were
preferred, of course. But for long-term ops in deciduous areas, they had to
exchange the "tree" every few months. To get around this somewhat dangerous
requirement, they let a "tree" in a city park die back to only bare grey
branches over the course of a year. Alas, the city Park Department troops
were too alert. They came out and cut it down, blowing the op.

P O Johnson