Re: PSSC Equipment Info Request

Hej!

Can't say with out seeing it, but I'd certainly like to buy it from you.

I suspect that the primary took 6 V. One can check which leads are which with an ohm
meter. The primary should be a few ohms, or less. Is the interrupter exposed, so you can
check continuity to it, and break the continuity in the primary by pushing the moving
contact away from its mate? The secondary I'd expect to have a few hundred to a few
thousand ohms. All the same as an auto spk. coil. I think it's approx. 50 KV / inch
spark which it should do. Was it intended to power geissler tubes? With the
interrupter, I assume it wasn't to mark waxed tape for timing mechanics experiments.

bc

"Raymond A. Rogoway" wrote:

Digging thru my old equipment I found a High Voltage Source Kit from the
old PSSC lab equipment. It was manufactured by Macalaster Bicknell and
carries the Catalog number of 1300.

It is basically a spark coil with an interupter to pulse the low voltage
primary. It has two red leads, one with a larger diameter than the other
and two black lead, also with one larger diameter than the other.

The smaller diameter leads appear to be the primary and the larger the
HV secondary.

Does anyone have the specs on this device (input voltage, output
voltage, input current, output current) and am I correct in my
assumptions of which wires are which?

(Herb, this ought to be right down your line)

Reply off list to rogoway@sjm.infi.net.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Rogoway

--