Re: microwave, RF heating

At 02:50 5/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
I don't think conductivity has anything to do with microwave
absorption*. Water is a rather good insulator ...
bc

Hmm...in connection with with microwave absorption in the brain,
or other meaty areas, I fancy this proposition is too sweeping.

It is a professorial aside in introductory classes that the
mammalian internal environment is quite reminiscent of a primordial
sea environment - which has been preserved over long reaches of
evolutionary development.
We are certainly not talking about the high dielectric constant,
high resistivity fluid from the deionised water bottle here.

Blood does not match modern seawater in these properties -
but it is comparable.

So in comparative tests of fats versus water, it would be better
to use salt water in order to capture both its mechanisms for
microwave absorption.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK