Re: Non-linear springs

Ed,

The results you have obtained are a special case of the more general
result that *any* purely position-dependent force produces identical
trajectories for particles that have the same initial position, kinetic
energy, and direction of motion. (If they start at rest, the trajectory
is, thus, dependent *only* upon the initial position.) Since the kinetic
energies are identical, the speeds along the trajectory vary inversely as
the square root of the mass and, therefore, the times required to complete
any portion of the trajectory vary directly as the square root of the
mass.

These results are very general and, in and of themselves, have no
implications for your question about whether or not there is a closed form
solution in any given situation.

John