Modellus

I've just spent some enjoyable time working with an old favorite, and
thought I'd share this program title with the phys-l list. How many of you
know about the program Modellus? It is a simulation package that keeps the
model (the differential equations of motion) right at the surface. You can
enter the model, and then see various graphs and animations based on that
model. It's a powerful tool for teaching and studying basic dynamics.

The program used to be a commercial product of Knowledge Revolution, but
apparently that arrangement has ended as you can download it free from
http://phoenix.sce.fct.unl.pt/modellus/. My guess is that the program was
not a commercial success as it forces you to think (!).

Anyway, I've always wondered why the program wasn't better known. Now that
it is free, perhaps it will see wider use.

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org
953 National Road #163 (304) 243-9636
Wheeling, WV 26003 (304) 243-9637 fax