Re: Controversial Exam Questions - Not Ohm's Law

I'm resigned! I'm going to get this one wrong no matter how I think
about it. Oh well, a resonable man's C is all I ever expected anyway.
I did not expect a perfect score. WBN

Barlow Newbolt
Professor of Physics
Washington and Lee University
e-mail: newboltw@wlu.edu
telephone: 540-463-8881
fax: 540-463-8884
Office: Howe 218

"Had I been present at the creation, I would have given
some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe."

Alphonso X, Learned King of Spain (1252 - 1284)

rbtarara@SPRYNET.COM 05/12/00 12:32PM >>>
I think you've introduced a 'third' definition of weight for which I
would
guess there is little support. The choices as I understand them:

1) Weight is the gravitational attraction of the earth on a massive
object.
(If the object is on the moon or Mars, substitute the moon or Mars for
the
earth.) This definition leads to the discussion of apparent weight
such as
an 'apparent weightlessness in orbit.'

2) Weight is the Net force as viewed within the frame of reference
that
causes the contact between an object and what supports it. For
someone
standing on a scale, this is still a downward force (since the scale
actually reads the upwards force of the scale) but includes the
CENTRIFUGAL
component due to the earth's rotation, and any effects due to other
gravitational attractors. Because this view looks at the centrifugal
force
as 'real' in the frame of reference where the object is at rest, then
the
actual weight in orbit is zero.

3) The now introduced definition of weight as the downward force of
an
object on it's support--a contact force. I'm not sure what the source
of
that force is supposed to be if not (1).

If we go back to the question, then (1) and (2) still lead to choice B
except that the (2) group would not have the force exactly 500N since
this
is an accelerating frame. {I've always thought that the 3rd law was
the
pedagogical problem with this approach.} Definition (3) would lead to
answer A, but is this really a viable definition?

I may be misrepresenting these 'definitions', but as I interpret them,
really see little problem with the exam question. 'B' is certainly
the
answer I would expect and this is more or less the way I would ask
the
question in the context of my courses.

Rick

(Off for a weekend vacation--ungraded exams to remain at home!)