Re: Controversial Exam Questions (WAS: R = V/I ?)

Those of us who believe that R = V/I makes sense for light bulbs
ARE aware that others disagree. (Of course it's not true that
all students are aware of all things. Indeed some are aware of
nearly nothing. But among those who have a shot at getting
this question right, many would know.) So then turn on your
"test parsing apparatus". If the writer of the question thinks
it's a good question, then he presumably means, "Is R a constant,"
because otherwise it's not an interesting question.

Dr. William J. Larson
Bill_Larson@csi.com
Institut Monte Rosa
Montreux, Switzerland

==>Wouldn't the 'R is defined as V/I' proponents have to say that any device
==>with a well defined V/I behavior follows Ohm's Law? The resistance is
==>'defined' at each point on the curve and IS 'defined' by the use of Ohm's
==>Law. The fact that the resistance changes shouldn't be a problem.
==>On the other hand if one prefers I = V/R with R a constant, then Ohm's
Law
==>is not satisfied by a light bulb.