Re: R = V/I ?

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Michael Edmiston wrote:

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but Robert Cohen seems to be
thinking along the same lines as I am. It strikes us as inappropriate to
apply R = V/I to some objects like batteries, capacitors, inductors. He
says, "in my mind, it is the 'cause or 'reason' why the current is
impeded..."

That's what I've been trying to say all along. I would probably reword his
statement say "We have to determine why the device has a potential
difference across it." A battery has a potential difference across it
because of an electrochemical reaction, not because of I*R. A capacitor has
a potential difference across it because V = Q/C, not because if I*R. A
reverse-biased zener diode has a potential difference across it because the
potential difference is required to get breakdown and obtain charge carriers
at the junction, not because of I*R. Whether you use Robert's words or
mine, the conclusion is the same... don't calculate a resistance for these
devices using R = V/I... it is inappropriate to assign a resistance to these
devices.

On this basis, I fully agree with Robert that it is appropriate to assign a
resistance to a light bulb. I've tried to say that all along. The
potential difference across an operating light bulb is due to I*R where R
can be calculated by rho*L/A where rho is the resistivity, and rho is
temperature dependent.

We agree that using V/I as a universal definition for R is inadequate - we
need to distinguish between the various sources of the potential
difference across it*. However, I'm also weary of using R=rho*L/A as a
definition because it seems derived from certain assumptions. Can we also
use that definition for a copper sphere, for example?

Perhaps my definition of R is really the ratio V_r/I, where V_r is the
potential difference due to...[fill in the appropriate term here]?

* From the recent discussion on potential difference, I'm now hesitant
(confused?) to use potential difference for all elements (e.g.,
inductors). I felt "impedance of current" sounded better for this reason.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |