Re: Wave phase reversal on reflection

Few ideas, such as the one that Tom Ford wrote below, are so elegant
and convincing to students learning physics. In over 30 years of physics
teaching, I have rarely come across such a simple model of wave behavior.
If this is original...CONGRATULATIONS TOM..... If it's not original,
let's
give our heartfelt thanks to Tom for bringing it to our attention.

All such "models" are likely to help in understanding phenomena that are
observed. Hopefully a bright student will ask, "What makes actual water

waves turn over when they are reflected?"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our big ocean waves teach the little ones to invert phase
whenever they are supposed to)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:02:50 -0400 Tom Ford