Hollow earth

The main fictional treatment, of course, was the Pellucidar series by Edgar
Rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan. He did have ships sail into the
North Pole vortex that connected the oceans on the surface with the oceans
on the inside of the hollow earth. One group made it through in a balloon
also. One group tunneled down from the surface in mechanical mole of
sorts.

There was a sun in the center which never set but did provide a way for
the center of the earth to be hot..I suppose with a micro-black hole in it
it could also account for the observed density of the earth.
I doubt that ERB made this setting up out of whole cloth and
suspect there were reputable scientists who considered this model as a
testable hypothesis in his day. That was before anyone had been to either
pole or overflown them.

Jim Braunsdorf