Re: EMF again

I forgot to specify that the amount of charge is one "meter"
when the force, between that charge and another point
charge of the same magnitude situated one meter away,
is one newton. In other words it is about the same as 10
microcoulombs. Likewise the current of "1 m/s" is about
the same as 10 microamperes. The EMF of one "newton"
would be about the same as 100 kV, etc.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Most of us avoid calling the EMF a force. But let me speculate
on this by assuming that the unit of EMF is newton, not volt.
How can volt = J/C become newton? By expressing the amount
of charge in meters. Ridiculous? Wait a moment. Do you know
that capacitances used to be expressed in centimeters rather than
in farads? So what is wrong with expressing Q in meters or kg?

No, I am not advocating any changes; this is only a speculation.
Suppose we have only three basic units, kg, m and s and that
we start dealing with electrostatics. Coulomb's law of
proportionality was discovered in the lab and we decided to
express charges in meters. This means that the proportionality
constant k is in newtons. Naturally, I may add.

The unit of potential, J/C becomes newton, a unit for EMF.
The unit of E (force per unit charge) becomes N/m and the
unit of capacitance becomes m/N. And what is the unit of
electric current? It is m/s, just like speed.

What makes this particular speculation more ridiculous than
breaking the speed of light c into two static factors, epsilon
zero (to be measured) and mu zero (to be defined)?
Ludwik Kowalski