Re: Imaginary reality

Well, it depends on what you want to do with your wave equation.
If you want to consider transmission-reflection problems through a
boundary, it's usually easier to work with exponential solutions (and
complex reflection and transmission) coefficients. At the end, you
take the real (or imaginary) part of your solutions. In the meantime
you have saved yourself some work adding trig and subtracting trig
functions at the boundary.
Your students will eventually repeat the identical calculations
when they solve square-well problems in QM.
Regards,
Jack

Adam was by constitution and proclivity a scientist; I was the same, and
we loved to call ourselves by that great name...Our first memorable
scientific discovery was the law that water and like fluids run downhill,
not up.
Mark Twain, <Extract from Eve's Autobiography>