Re: Imaginary reality

Given that the wavefunction has to be a two-component object, why
is it so convenient to use complex numbers to encode the two
components? Beats me. Always seemed a little spooky, to tell
the truth.

Why spooky? There are lots of cases where we do similar things, e.g.
bundling 3 or 4 scalar equations into one vector equation. Whenever there
are N solutions to the same equation, it is just a matter of time before
somebody contrives a formalism that allows us to bundle them together.

But with complex numbers, it seems a little too lucky that the rule for
multiplication, "derived" using the crazy formula i^2 = -1, would turn
out to be just what we need. This issue, of course, is not unique
to quantum mechanics; I find it a bit spooky wherever it comes up in
physics. Probably I just don't understand the math deeply enough.

Dan