Re: Imaginary reality

TIMOTHY WAGNER wrote:

As a retired teacher I cannot remember how the complex wave equation
y=Aexp(i[kx-wt]) was first encountered in my own education. Recently I
began to wonder how this would be introduced, anyway. Accepting the
necessity of its use in QM, I wanted to ask how teachers today related
this complex expression to mind's-eye reality early in the educational
process, or whether they would simply show the concept as a math tool
to have practical applications later.

Negative distances (or velocities) also belong to "imaginary reality". We are
used to them and nobody is puzzled. I do remember times when complex
numbers presented a conceptual difficulty for me. Then I learned that they
are convenient "shortcuts".