14 Modeling Workshops, 13 CPU Workshops/openings

Colleagues,

Dan MacIsaac beat me to the punch! Earlier today he posted 2 e-mails from
me (that I had posted on PHYSLRNR) giving details and contact info on 14
Modeling Workshops and 13 CPU workshops this summer for high school
teachers. You may have missed these posts if you get a digest, because
there were no subject headings.

If you teach at a college, university, or community college, I encourage
you to find a workshop on either list that's in your state or a nearby
state, and forward that information to a high school physics or physical
science teacher who you know. And/or print the info and ask your department
secretary to mail it to all such teachers in your community.

I've heard many teachers who have participated in modeling workshops say
that these workshops are the best professional development they've ever
had; that they are life-changing.

If you can convince teachers in your community to join these workshops, you
may reap benefits long-term. We are experiencing this locally, where half
the physics teachers have learned Modeling Instruction. Your college
students will come in better prepared; you'll have more fun teaching them
for you can do more and go farther with them since they've learned to
THINK, not primarily memorize.

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Jackson, Dir., Modeling Workshop Project
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu

"In the matter of physics, the first lessons should
contain nothing but what is experimental and interesting
to see. A pretty experiment is in itself often more
valuable than twenty formulae extracted from our minds."
- Albert Einstein